What is the difference between a diamond setter & a jeweller?
- They are two separate apprenticeships because both require considerable training & expertise.
- Quality jewellery requires the stone setter, the jeweller & the designer to work in unison.
- A stone setter sets the diamonds & gem stones in metal which is tensioned under pressure over the girdle of the stone and it takes considerable expertise & courage.
- The setter must understand the stone qualities & limitations. They must also understand the properties & limitations of the all the metals they work in.
- The jeweller forms the jewellery and creates an environment where it is possible to secure the stone including adequate metal, snug fit & metal quality.
- Unless they have received additional training most jewellers don’t have the expertise to set diamonds & gemstones.