We do so very much with our hands and our rings go along for the ride so there is wear & tear over time. Metal wears away and if the metal wears away too much around the diamonds or gemstones in your ring, then they will fall out. And you don’t want to lose your beautiful diamonds and gemstones that holds so many memories for you! All setting types wears but claw set stones are especially affected by wear. Fortunately they are repairable and jewellers call the repair of claws re-tipping.
What happens in a re-tipping?
When repairing the claws, all the claws are examined and where they are not secure, we dress them back, add wire and solider. On more difficult re-tips we use laser technology.
What to look out for?
A sign of wear is that the claws start catching on things, they are rough to touch and don’t look the same as the other claws. Depending on the design some claw will wear more than others because they are more exposed. The wearing of claws is a part of loving your jewellery, and hence wearing our jewellery, but rest assured that the claws can easily be repaired by a master jeweller.
What to do if you are concerned?
If you are concerned that the claws on your ring are wearing, please stop wearing it to avoid the the expensive and heart ache of loosing a gemstone or diamond. Bring your ring or jewellery into us and we’ll inspect your jewellery for free and provide a no obligation quote on what repair work is needed & when. Yes sometimes it doesn’t need to be done straight away. Learn more about our Jewellery Repair & Restoration Services. You may also be interested in Jewellery Remodelling & Recycling & Custom Made & Designed Jewellery.
Here are some of the other repairs we can perform:
- Repair of claws that hold in the diamonds or gemstones in. Jewellers call this re-tipping.
- Ring Resizing – invisible & high quality resizing of rings.
- Re-platting white gold – this is call rhodium platting.
- Repair the thinning band of a ring. Jewellers call this re-shanking as they call the band the shank.
- Pearl Re-stringing & Restoration
- Replacement or repair of clasps
- Chain Repairs
- Attachment of charms on a charm bracelets.
- Hinged rings for customers with arthritis & enlarged knuckles.
- Making jewellery easier to put on & take off with larger & easier clasps & earring back.
- Jewellery Cleaning & Polishing that revitalises your old jewellery.
- Engraving & Re-engraving of worn engraving
- Replacing missing diamonds & gemstones
- Re-polishing or re-cutting of gemstones so they can be reused in jewellery remodelling or renovation.